Wednesday 17 August 2011

Summer blah

We're at that point where summer is almost finished, but not quite, and the new school year is gearing up...but not quite. The days are getting shorter, the nights cooler. My kids are restless, fighting all the time. They're ready...not quite, to go back to school. I'll convince them of that in a week or two lol. The daycare is getting more rowdy and kids are in need of a definite routine changeup. So am I.
The thought has been tossed around about me NOT taking some time off next summer and working right through with a new job after the move. Believe me when I say that I am NOT the one tossing that thought around at all. At first I felt like I was being selfish. Most families are double income these days and the ones taht are not are the few lucky ones. Up till now, a double income was very much necessary for us to sustain this lifestyle. Now that the agreement has been made to downsize and minimalize, the need for the much extra income will no longer be mandatory. At least, that was the deal. Our oldest son is now 16. It's been over 16 years since I had a break, a good break and in reality, I quit my job when I was pregnant for him. I had about 5 months of me time to prepare for mommyhood. I admit, it was nice...for what I can remember of it.
I admit taht the idea of going without my own paycheck and independance is a bit daunting. i dont want to go back to being one of those housewives that beg and plead for a buck to go out for the day. I hate allowances and having to ask the hubby for permission. That's not me.
On the other hand, 16 years, no break, no time to just sit, have a cup of coffee, read a magazine, listen to the quiet...uh, there is quiet somewhere right?
Even though it may seem like I don't appreciate my family or husband I do! I really do, I just need to have some time to phase down. To find some peace. I really don't think it's to omuch to ask. Now, with the new "suggestion" that I continue to work with no or little break, I'm frustrated and a bit upset. I thougth about the number of vacations hubby has had over the last 17 years. (yup 17 year anniversary coming up at the end of the month. Marriage anniversary is a whole other ball of wax. 14 years for that, coming in October.) 17 years, he's had a few weeks of vakay every year. so, if my mat is even romotely correct, we're looking at just under a years' worth of vacation time that he has had from his work...paid of course. I'm not even asking to be paid for time off, but I do think that at least 6 months is more than fair. That's my reasoning.
We're heading to Toronto on Saturday to go an see medieval times with friends and family. Our "big trip" of the summer. One day away. Well, better than nothing! Our friends are letting the dogs out to pee for us so we don't come home to a nice pile of "presents" in the living room so that makes the day much more enjoyable. Youknow? we haven't even had a chance to take the kids to the beach this summer. No wonder they are all going nuts in the house. They haven't gotten to do anything this summer and it's almost over...but not quite!

No comments:

Post a Comment